Chowhound’s version of this classic is just a bit fudgy and not too sweet, with a nice cakey top. It’s a recipe for brownie purists, but add nuts or chocolate chips as you like.
What to buy: We use 60 percent bittersweet chocolate in this recipe, but for more intensity feel free to use a chocolate with a higher percentage of cocoa (but not unsweetened).
Game plan: These brownies will last up to 3 days in an airtight container.
This recipe was featured as part of our DIY TV Dinners story as well as our Chocolate Desserts recipe slideshow.
- Yield: 16 brownies
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brewed espresso (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until evenly melted. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, espresso (if using), and salt in a large bowl and briefly stir until just evenly incorporated. Add the cooled chocolate and mix until uniform in color. Add the flour and stir until just incorporated (no white streaks should remain).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake until a tester inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting.
Beverage pairing: Rogue Chocolate Stout, Oregon. Few things are more delicious than the combination of bitter and sweet. This dark beer brewed with bittersweet chocolate brings a toasty, dark palate to the table, as well as the slightly bitter flavors of deeply roasted malt. And its acidity and creamy carbonation provide a mouth-cleansing rinse.