All the elements of the classic French dish are revisited in this oh-so iconic of American meals. Skip the ketchup and mustard: All you need is a thick slather of Dijon and mayo to finish it off.
- Yields: 4 burgers
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 20 mins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken thigh meat
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 slices thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 kaiser or French-style hamburger buns or ciabatta sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (400°F) or heat a grill pan over a medium heat until hot. Mix mustard and mayonnaise and set aside. Combine chicken, shallot, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 4 patties. Rub burgers with oil. Press a deep dimple into the center of each burger (this will help it stay flat while it cooks).
- Grill burgers, turning once halfway through, until cooked all the way, about 10 minutes total. In last 3 minutes, top each burger with two slices of ham and a slice of cheese. Cover, and let cook remaining time until cheese is melted.
- Assemble burgers, spreading top bun with some of the reserved mustard mixture and a few arugula leaves.