S’mores are a campfire classic, but even classics get boring. With canned cherries, a box of Bisquick, and a crackling fire, you can have cobbler in 40 minutes. Serve with Crème Fraîche Whipped Cream or, if you’re more or less roughing it, a spritz of whip from the can.
Special equipment: You’ll need a heavy, 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven (with a lid) that you don’t mind setting directly over the embers.
Game plan: If you have fresh cherries and a little time, make the filling from our Fresh Cherry Cobbler recipe at home before packing up for the trail. As a Bisquick alternative, make the topping from our Easy Peach Cobbler, place it on top of the filling (either canned or fresh), and let it bubble away over the embers for approximately 30 minutes. And for an indoor version, bake the cobbler, uncovered, in a 425°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
This recipe was featured as part of our Step Up the S’more: 7 Ideas for Campfire Treats.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 40 mins
- 2 (21-ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for coating the Dutch oven
- Coat the bottom and sides of the Dutch oven with butter, add the cherry pie filling, and set aside.
- Stir together the Bisquick, milk, sugar, and melted butter until well combined. Cover the cherry filling as evenly as you can with the batter.
- Cover the Dutch oven and place the pot directly onto the smoldering coals of a campfire, avoiding any intense flames. Cook for 30 minutes, rotating every few minutes. Serve warm, with whipped crème fraîche or cream.