The cool weather is starting to creep up on us, and that means the soup cravings are too. If you live in New York City, Boston, Los Angeles, or Providence (coming soon!), you’re one of the lucky ones who can swing by one of our favorite vegan restaurants, by Chloe, to grab a soup (and a raw chia pudding, and a guac burger, and… everything on the menu) on your way home. But if it’s too cold to go a few blocks out of your way, or you live in one of the other 46 states, you can make by Chloe’s seasonal roasted garlic and cauliflower soup in your own kitchen. Dream.
Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup
Recipe by: by Chloe
Makes: 8 16-ounce servings
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic bulbs (the whole head, not 2 cloves)
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons vegan bouillon cube
2 quarts, plus 2 cups water
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup cashews
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place garlic individually in foil and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until soft.
3. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onion until soft.Add vegan bouillon cube and 2 quarts water.Bring to a boil and add cauliflower florets and continue to cook for about 7-9 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft, but not mushy.
4. While soup is cooking, place cashews and the remaining 2 cups water in a blender. Purée at high speed for 7 minutes.Add roasted garlic, salt, and nutritional yeast, and wait for cauliflower to cook.
5. Once cauliflower is almost cooked, purée with the cashew base in a blender until smooth for about 5-7 minutes. Do not strain.Soup should be smooth and creamy.
6. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt if necessary.
7. To serve: Ladle hot soup into bowl and top with croutons, chopped parsley, and fresh, cracked black pepper.