Burritos in the morning, burritos in the evening, burritos at suppertime… wait, you haven’t heard that one? Okay, okay — maybe that’s not how the song goes, but it’s how we express our unending love for a food that never leads us astray.
The steadfast burrito gives you a world of meal options and here’s just one of them. Kiss the wrap goodbye and put that burrito-y goodness in a bowl.
We gave this fresh-tasting burrito bowl a spicy kick by topping whole-grain brown rice with BUSH’S® Southwestern Style Pinto Beans. Add crunchy cabbage, chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, sliced green onions, and crumbled cheese, and you’re ready to go — margarita not included.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (or 3 cups cooked rice)
- 1 cup thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
- 1 ½ teaspoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 large green onion, rinsed
- 1 large tomato, rinsed
- 1 large avocado
- 1 can BUSH’S® Southwestern Style Pinto Beans
- Cotija or feta cheese, for garnish
- Hot sauce, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of brown rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed. If you prefer, you can use 3 cups of cooked rice, heated through.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the vegetables:
a. Cabbage: In a bowl, combine the sliced cabbage with 1 ½ teaspoons of cider or red wine vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Stir well to combine.
b. Green onions: Trim and discard the ends of the green onions. Thinly slice the remaining green and white portions of the onion.
c. Tomato: Remove the stem and chop the fruit.
d. Avocado: Remove the pit and peel from the avocado. Dice the flesh.
- When the rice is nearly ready, heat the beans. Pour the beans into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave them on high for 1–2 minutes, or until heated through. Pause the microwave partway through the heating process to stir the beans. Alternatively, you can heat the beans in a small pot on the stove.
- When the rice is ready, divide it into four bowls. Arrange the beans and vegetables over the rice. Sprinkle each bowl with cotija or feta cheese, drizzle with hot sauce, and garnish with a wedge of lime.
|Total fat||13.6 g|
|Saturated fat||3.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||60 g|
|Dietary fiber||12 g|