It’s all about the easy made from scratch in our house, so I created different spins on all sorts of stuff. The Broccoli Casserole is the only way I could get my brother and husband to eat broccoli. So I made it fun to make together and really good to eat! (even while making it!) It makes a really cheesey dish.
- Yield: At least 6 – 8
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: About 45 mins
- 2 10oz packages of broccoli florets or about 20oz worth of fresh broccoli
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 block of Velveeta cheese
- 2 sleeves of Ritz Crackers (crushed)
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 6 tspns butter
- 1 cup of milk
- Boil water with frozen broccoli until cooked, then drain completely. OR Cut the fresh broccoli to small florets and steam to liking. (usually about 5 mins for me) Salt and pepper the broccoli to your taste.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and of course Bake! =]
- Cut the cheese into cubes and put 3/4 of the cubes into the broccoli. Add in the soup and stir on med to low heat. Continue to stir the mixture until cheese is mostly melted. (it will look like you’ve made your own broccoli cheddar soup!)
- Put the other 1/4 cubes into a saucepan with milk and set to med heat until completely melted. Set the saucepan to simmer while stirring occasionally.
- Use one sleeve of crackers to layer the bottom of a 12X12 or so sized casserole dish. Put the 6 teaspoons worth of butter sporadically (all around in separate spots) on top of the layer of crackers. Start scooping the broccoli mixture into the casserole dish. (If you want to layer you can just separate them with the crackers!) Then pour the cheese sauce on top to settle around all the gaps. Put one final layer of crackers on top of the dish and place in oven.
- It should cook for about 25–30 mins. (depending on your oven) If you want to add a little shredded cheddar on top do so in the last 5–10 mins of the cook time. Once it’s finished you’ll probably want to let it sit for around 10 mins to cool before serving! Voila!