This easy breakfast “pizza” is a quick way to use up leftover pita bread. In just about the time it takes to brew your coffee, you can have slices of this hot, eggy dish ready. And that beats a congealed triangle of leftover cheese and crust any day.
Game plan: You can speed up the preparation even more by grating the cheeses the night before.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Hot Breakfasts in 15 Minutes.
- Yield: 2 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 15 mins
- 2 pitas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oven to broil and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place it under the broiler while the oven is heating.
- Meanwhile, place the pitas on a work surface and sprinkle with the mozzarella, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Arrange the spinach over the cheese, leaving a small nest about 1 1/2 inches wide in the center of each pita.
- When the oven is ready, remove the baking sheet and place the pitas on it. Crack 1 egg into the nest of each pita and season it with salt and pepper. Broil until the egg whites are set, about 6 to 7 minutes (the yolks will still be runny).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the pitas to a cutting board. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, cut each pita into 4 wedges, and serve immediately.