This is the Ultimate Holiday Dessert! As a kid I rememeber the smell of mom’s sweet potato casserole cooking in the oven, and a house full of friends and family waiting for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. Now, that I have children of my own I look to create these same memories for them. Even now the tradition of making this pie the first day of fall has been a family favorite. It is so creamy and sweet and with just the right amount of spice and crunch from the crispy gingersnap and pecan topping. The addition of the bourbon adds a refreshing hint of flavor just mingling in the background. So, now that the leaves are turning brillant yellows, oranges, and reds, my family and I suggest you try our favorite holiday dessert. We are sure it will become your favorite too!
- Yields: 1 10 inch pie, 8 pieces
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 3 1/2 hours, includes cooling
- Active: 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup bourbon or 2 teaspoons extract
- 10 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Wash sweet ppotatoes and place in oven on cookie sheet and roast 45 minutes until fork tender. Remove and scoop out inside flesh, discarding skins.
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Add ice water a spoon at a time until dough comes together. Turn onto floured surface and roll into a 10 inch round. Place in pie plate and crimp edges, trim extras if needed. Set aside.
- Combine sweet potatoes,3/4 cup dark brown sugar,evaported milk, eggs, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and borbon. Mix well. Pour into pie crust and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and cook an additional 35-40 minutes, until center is set. Place on cooling rack.
- Make Topping. Combine toasted pecans, crushed gingersnaps, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and melted butter until mixture is coated and barely moist. Sprinkle on top of pie. Cool at least 2 hours at room temperature.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired. Combine 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 cup sifted powder sugar. Mix with electric mixer until thickened, about 3 minutes. ENJOY!