Buttermilk biscuits become the perfect breakfast bread with the addition of smoky bacon, white cheddar cheese, and herbs. Serve them as is, with scrambled eggs, or split and filled with a fried egg for the perfect wake-up sandwich.
- Yields: 8 (4-inch) biscuits
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 55 mins
- Active: 30 mins
- 3 thick slices smoked bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 12 pieces
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh herbs, such as chives, oregano, marjoram, and/or thyme
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a frying pan, fry the bacon. Drain on paper towels, then chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse to combine. Scatter the butter pieces over the top of the flour mixture and pulse until the butter is pea-sized. Add the buttermilk, cheese, and herbs and pulse just until a moist, shaggy dough comes together. Add the reserved bacon and pulse a few times to combine.
- Alternatively, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Scatter the butter pieces over the top of the flour mixture and toss to coat them in the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, and working quickly, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until pea-sized. Toss in the bacon, cheese, and herbs. Drizzle in the buttermilk and stir just until a moist, shaggy dough comes together.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Scrape the dough onto the surface and dust the top with more flour. Using floured hands, pat the dough into a circle that’s 1 inch thick. Using a 3-inch round (or fluted) cutter dipped in flour, cut out as many biscuits as possible. Press straight down through the dough—don’t twist the cutter, or the biscuits will not rise properly.
- Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet, spacing them at least 1 inch apart. Gather the scraps into a ball, pat it into a 1-inch-thick circle, and cut out more biscuits. Repeat as needed until you have 8 biscuits total.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve while warm.