Pico de Gallo—that fresh dice of tomato, onion, and chiles—is an essential Mexican table salsa. Adding diced avocado gives it another dimension, mellowing out the acidity and giving it a rich, smooth feel on the tongue. Use this as a dip for tortilla chips, or pile it high in tacos.
This recipe was featured as part of our 3 Party Salsas in 30 Minutes project.
- Yields: 3 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 mins
- 3 serrano peppers
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 1/3 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion
- 2 avocados
- 1 medium lime, plus 1 more to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Cut the serranos into medium dice. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes into medium-large dice and transfer to another bowl.
- Chop the cilantro so that it’s medium to fine and transfer to a third bowl.
- Medium-dice the onion and transfer to a fourth bowl.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, then peel and pit them. Coarsely chop and transfer to a final bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped avocado, diced serranos and onion, chopped cilantro and tomatoes, the juice of 1 lime, and the measured salt. Mix gently to combine.
- Taste and season with additional salt and lime juice as necessary. Serve with chips.
Photos by Chris Rochelle