We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Greatist only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Gluten-free folks, gather ’round! The days of sad sandwiches are finally behind you. Here are 11 gluten-free bread brands that are legit delish —even die-hard bread lovers will be impressed.
Our picks: The best gluten-free breads
- Little Northern Bakehouse White Wide Slice
- Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread
- Three Bakers Large Slice White Bread
- Udi’s Delicious Soft White Sandwich Bread
- Rudi’s Original Homestyle Gluten-Free Bread
- Schar Artisan Baker White Bread
- Eban’s Bakehouse Oat Bread
- Franz Bakery Mountain White Bread
- Food for Life Sprouted for Life Original Three-Seed Bread
- Outer Aisle Original Sandwich Thins
- Unbun Foods Unbuns
The gluten-free bread of days past was just plain meh. Tiny, dry slices that were equal parts weird and sad. Oh, and a single loaf could destroy your food budget for the month. Ugh.
Thankfully, the breads they are a changin’.
We handpicked these standout gluten-free breads based on their ESP (Excellent Sandwich Potential):
- Consistency: Soft and strong are key here, but in a totally different way than toilet paper (which TBH is what some gluten-free breads taste like).
- Slice size: The slices should be about the same size as regular bread. We’re not here for puny panini!
- Shelf life: We looked for loaves that don’t need to be frozen ASAP.
- Flavor: We found options that match the taste of real bread.
FYI: Some of the breads on this list don’t meet every one of these criteria. But! Overall, each loaf is solid choice that seems to be well-loved by the gluten-free fam.
Not gonna lie, gluten-free bread can get a bit pricey (especially if you have it delivered). This price key will help you find the best gluten-free bread for your taste buds and wallet.
$ = under $8 per loaf/package
$$ = $8–$10 per loaf/package
$$$ = over $10 per loaf/package
PSA: Gluten-free bread might be cheaper if you buy it in the grocery store.
1. Little Northern Bakehouse White Wide Slice
This plant-based gluten-free bread comes in big, sandwich-sized slices. It’s fluffy AF but also sturdy enough stack as many topping as you want. The flavor? Impressive.
Bonus: You can leave it on the counter for up to 9 days! (Trust us, that’s mad impressive.) And it’s egg-free for those looking to avoid that ingredient also!
Buy Little Northern Bakehouse White Wide Slice online.
2. Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread
Canyon Bakehouse promises the white bread of your childhood. The slices are a bit wider than most gluten-free breads too, so they’re perf for overstuffed sandwiches. It can be stored on your counter for 5 to 6 days — after that you need to put it in the freezer.
Pro tip: This bread makes a divine PB&J. *chefs kiss*
Buy Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread online.
3. Three Bakers Large Slice White Bread
This bread is in that sweet-spot of soft meets sturdy. It can even be stored on the counter for up to 5 days, but you’re prob better off keeping it in the freezer. That ensures max freshness.
Perk: Three Bakers offers a buy-in-bulk option where you can get six loaves at once. That’s a lot of sandwiches and we’re here for it.
Buy Three Bakers Large Slice White Bread online.
4. Udi’s Delicious Soft White Sandwich Bread
If you needed a clue about the taste, it’s right there in the name! Udi’s impressive #YumFactor makes this bread a fave among gluten-free folks. Plus it’s one of the easiest brands to find at your local grocery store.
Buy Udi’s Delicious Soft White Sandwich Bread online.
5. Rudi’s Original Homestyle Gluten-Free Bread
This shelf-stable bread is soft and flavorful with no refrigeration required — but lots of peeps prefer it toasted. Even though the slices are smaller than standard wheat bread slices, it’s one of the top gluten-free contenders. And hey, it’s also dairy- and nut-free!
Buy Rudi’s Original Homestyle Gluten-Free Bread online.
6. Schar Artisan Baker White Bread
Schar is one of the pricier options, but it’s also top notch in terms of taste and texture. A touch of honey gives it that mild sweetness white bread is known for. While not pillowy soft, it’s fab for making sandwiches that won’t fall apart on you.
Keep in mind: It has to be kept frozen. And those with a soy allergy will want to avoid.
Buy Schar Artisan Baker White Bread online.
7. Eban’s Bakehouse Oat Bread
This bread from Eban’s Bakehouse has glowing reviews. They’ve got the perfect bread texture on lock and lots of reviewers rave about its flavor and consistency. It comes in a variety of flavors like cinnamon raisin, flaxseed, and seeded. Yum 😋.
Keep in mind: It needs to be stored in the freezer and the slices are on the small side.
Buy Eban’s Bakehouse Oat Bread online.
8. Franz Mountain White Bread
Lots of folks are fans of this bread’s taste and texture. Plus the wide slices make for some hefty sandwiches, including a 10/10 breakfast sammie. Although you can buy it off the shelf, you should freeze it after you open the package.
Buy Franz Mountain White Bread online.
9. Food For Life Sprouted For Life Original 3-Seed Bread
Brought to you by the makers of the cult classic Ezekiel bread, this gluten-free option is also made with sprouted nuts, seeds, and grains. So it may offer some interesting health benefits on top of being delicious.
While it may not be the right choice if you’re looking for something to replace Wonder Bread, it’s still chewy and flavorful.
Buy Food For Life Sprouted For Life Original 3-Seed Bread online.
10. Outer Aisle Original Sandwich Thins
This bread proves cauliflower is the most versatile veg. Use this bread to make sandwiches, wraps, pizzas, chips, and even lasagna! They do have to be refrigerated or frozen, but they’re pretty low in calories.
Good news: It’s keto and paleo-friendly too!
Buy Outer Aisle Original Sandwich Thins online.
11. Unbun Foods Unbuns
Gluten-free? Yup. Low carb? You got it. This keto-friendly bread line has something for everyone (including vegans). You can even use the Unbaguette for subs and hot dogs! The classic standard-sized Unbuns toast up nicely and can withstand even the juiciest of burgers.
The iconic Elizabeth Lemon once said, “I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich.” But it’s hard to slay a sandwich with a gluten intolerance, wheat allergy, or celiac disease.
Thankfully, these 11 gluten-free breads let you have your sandwich and actually enjoy it too.