We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Shia LeBeouf had an autobot, but you can have a piece of transformer furniture. The best futon mattresses have you covered whether you need to get a good night’s sleep or just want a comfortable, functional hangout spot. Our recommendations can help you pick the best futon mattress for your sitch.
Let’s face it, many futon mattress don’t tend to get much love. If you’re just pulling it out for the occasional sleepover, or using it as your basement station for gaming, your standards will differ from someone who plans to use it as their go-to sleeping surface.
If you’re sleeping on your futon pretty often, comfort is probably a priority. Thickness, quality, and materials can all contribute to how comfortable a futon is and how well you will sleep on it.
There are a few key things to consider when choosing your future futon, including:
- manufacturing standards
From dorm rooms to gamer dens, futons are a favorite for lots of reasons. That’s why we made sure to include a wide range of options for every style and scenario.
- Best overall: Classic Brands 8-inch Futon Mattress
- Best for everyday snoozing: Otis Bed Moonshadow Futon Mattress
- Best memory foam: Mozaic 6-inch Futon Mattress
- Best low profile: Blazing Needles Futon Mattress
- Best Japanese-style: EMOOR Shikifuton Futon Mattress
- Best extra thick: Nirvana Premium 10-inch Futon Mattress
- Best innerspring: DHP 8-inch Futon Mattress
- Best for kids: Maxyoyo Futon Mattress
- Best frameless: Milliard Tri-fold Mattress
Futons are known for being budget friendly, especially compared to the cost of a traditional mattress or sofa. Use this pricing guide to invest in the best while staying on budget:
$ = under $150
$$ = $150–$200
$$$ = over $200
Prices are based on a full size mattress which fits the standard futon frame.
1. Best overall: Classic Brands 8-inch Futon Mattress
Thickness: 8 inches
This medium-firm mattress has individually encased innersprings covered in a layer of foam. It has a removable, washable cover so you can freshen it up before guests visit (or after spilling some vino…)
It has a boxy shape for a tailored look and comes in classic black or brown. Classic Brands also offers a 1-year warranty, so if you don’t love it, you can send it back!
Order the Classic Brands futon mattress.
2. Best for everyday snoozing: Otis Bed Moonshadow Futon Mattress
Thickness: 8 inches
If your futon is your main bed, this is the mattress you want. It’s plush, overstuffed with foam and cushy batting, and has boxy edges for a more mattress-y look than our other top picks.
Otis Bed futon mattresses are made in the USA and come with a 10-year warranty, so be confident you can sleep on this cushion for the long haul.
Order the Otis Bed Moonshadow Futon Mattress.
3. Best memory foam: Mozaic 6-inch Futon Mattress
Thickness: 6 inches
This cushy futon mattress comes with a cotton cover to give you the cool comfort of natural fibers. It’s filled with layers of memory foam surrounded by batting for a soft but supportive touch. The Mozaic futon mattress is also made in the USA, reversible for durability, and comes in 10 colors.
Order the Mozaic Futon Mattress.
4. Best low profile: Blazing Needles Futon Mattress
Thickness: 5 inches
Looking for a futon mattress that isn’t afraid to get low? At only 5 inches, this is one of the more streamlined cushions out there. It’s also medium-firm (which is good for your back) and comes in 13 colors so you can show some personality while you lounge.
Order the Blazing Needles Futon Mattress.
5. Best Japanese-style: EMOOR Shikifuton Futon Mattress
Thickness: 3 inches
If you want a truly minimal futon experience, sleep Japanese style with this thin mat on the floor. Crafted in Japan, it’s made of a firm polyester pad surrounded by fluffy filling and a cotton cover. You can also use it as a top layer over a traditional mattress.
Order the EMOOR Shikifuton Futon Mattress.
6. Best extra thick: Nirvana Premium 10-inch Futon Mattress
Thickness: 10 inches
Thicker futon mattresses, like the Nirvana Premium, tend to be less than ideal when you’re trying to fold them up to the sofa position, but they make up for it by providing extra support for a sounder sleep.
This one offers medium support and comes with a 3-year warranty. It’s made in the USA out of foam and poly cotton fill.
Order the Nirvana Futon Mattress.
7. Best innerspring: DHP 8-inch Futon Mattress
Thickness: 8 inches
Remember when all mattresses were made of a layer of bouncy springs that squished to conform to your body? Boing! This futon mattress is full of individually encased coils covered by a foam layer for a plush sleeping experience. You can choose from 6 colors.
Order the DHP 8-inch Futon Mattress.
8. Best for kids: Maxyoyo Futon Mattress
Thickness: 4 inches
Flamingos, flowers, and foxes, oh my! If your priority is fashioning a futon with personality, Maxyoyo has the most print options. These are great floor mats for kids (with dino and car styles) and come with straps and a storage bag for easy travel.
Order the Maxyoyo Futon Mattress.
9. Best frameless: Milliard Tri-fold Mattress
Thickness: 4.5 inches
One person on Amazon called it a “thick ass yoga mat”… which might be exactly what you’re looking for. The removable washable cover means it will stay cute, no matter what.
Order the Milliard Folding Mattress.
Here are the boxes all of the futon mattresses had to check in order to land on our best of list:
- No quackery. Mattress manufacturers can’t claim they will prevent, treat, or cure any illness. Just a comfy night’s sleep, please.
- No shady business. We avoid companies that have been found guilty in business-related lawsuits in the last 3 years.
- All good with the BBB. No F or D rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Keeping it real. The best mattresses are certified safe by a third-party and are transparent about where they are made and what materials are used. We always appreciate a trial period and warranty, too.
Whether you’re lounging, sleeping, entertaining, or building a blanket fort, futons are the unsung hero of multi-purpose furnishings. Once you know what you’re looking for, one of our top picks above should meet your futon needs without getting too spendy.