One of our biggest sources of healthy eating inspiration here at Greatist is you — the Greatist community. This week we rounded up some of our favorite healthier swaps, snacks, and a great tip in planning ahead.
Kick Hangovers Before They Start
No matter who wins the game, you're the real winner if you wake up Monday without a hangover, are we right? Here are our tips for sidestepping a hangover. (Don't worry, it doesn't mean skipping out completely.)
- Keep it light. Avoid darker drinks like red wine and whiskey, which contain a compound that may contribute to hangovers.
- Stay classy. Like darker drinks, cheap liquors also have more potentially hangover-causing compounds known as congeners.
- Eat up. Chowing down can help prevent alcohol from absorbing too quickly.
- Stay hydrated. You've probably heard this one before, but it bears repeating— chug one glass of water for every alcohol beverage consumed to avoid the next morning headache.
- Say no to bubbles. The fizzy stuff may cause alcohol to be absorbed more rapidly.
- Pop a vitamin. Drinking depletes folate, potassium, and B12. Supplement with a vitamin (or healthy eats) to keep things on track.
The Takeaway: Make smart drink choices (like flat, light-colored, high-quality liquor) and eat well ahead of time to bypass a hangover the next day. If it's too late and the hangover already has you in its clutches, read on for even more tips.
Serve Up Healthier Chili
This cozy comfort food still warms from the inside out. Plus it packs some serious chicken wing flavor!
More than 50 million cases of beer are sold during the weeks surrounding the Super Bowl.