Picnic Recipe: S’more Brownies
S’mores— the summertime staple combing a graham, a ‘mallow, and some chocolate. But these tasty treats have the tendency to make a major mess. For a portable and less-sticky (but just as gooey!) substitute, try our S'more Brownies with a health-conscious twist. Better double the batch— this decadent dessert will have everyone begging for s’more.
Makes 16 1-inch squares
¾ cup of whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup white sugar, or substitute
½ tsp. baking powder
3 tablespoons applesauce or baby dates
3 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups mini-marshmallows
1 dark chocolate bar, chopped
2 graham crackers, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350o. Spray an 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Mix butter, egg whites, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients on top of the wet and combine until smooth.
- Spread batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until firm and beginning to crack on the top.
- Pull out pan and sprinkle marshmallows on the top. Add graham crackers and chocolate.
- Put back in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes or until marshmallows are lightly browned and chocolate begins to melt.
- Let cool and enjoy!