Fruit-based bread makes for the perfect weekend breakfast. Serve with jam and you have yourself the most comforting wake-up call imaginable. However, morning breads can often be more dessert-like interms of ingredients than they should be with the likes of white flour, white sugar, eggs, butters, and milk. This vegan banana bread recipe takes out the added sugars, eggs, and dairy but still keeps the deliciousness intact. It is moist and best served warm with a jam or slab of coconut butter. Enjoy!
Recipe: Vegan Banana Bread
Makes 1 medium loaf
What You'll Need:
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (spelt or buckwheat flour work well, too)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup almond, rice, or soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 very ripe medium bananas (they should have brown spots), mashed
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until relatively pureed. To the bananas, add the remainder of the ingredients, including the dried apricots. Stir until evenly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold until combined. The mixture should be a thick batter but still able to be poured.
- Pour into a greased bread pan and cook in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Enjoy warm or cool, and spread with a bit of butter or jam or an even sweeter treat.