If you start the day on the right foot, chances are the rest will follow in stride. These muffins earn some major healthy points by nixing the dairy, eggs, and butter and embracing the glory of fruit- and vegetable-based ingredients. Zucchini is a relatively tame vegetable — it's not outrageously flavorful, so it works well in muffins because it provides the serving of vegetables and extra moisture without tasting like "health food."
Recipe: Whole-Wheat Zucchini Muffins
Makes 10-12 muffins
What You'll Need:
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of salt
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup milk (of your choice)
1 banana, mashed
1/4 cup honey
1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
What to Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, olive oil, milk, banana, and honey.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Fill lightly greased muffin cups, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops have browned. The insides will be exceptionally moist!
- Let the muffins cool to firm up, or eat them while they are ultra-tender and warm!
Have you ever had zucchini as part of your breakfast or dessert? How do you like to enjoy zucchini? Share us your thoughts below!