Recipe: Whole-Wheat Rigatoni with Greens
It seems that any and every flour-based product has now come out with a "whole-wheat" version. And it's nearly impossible to watch a morning news segment without hearing something on the health benefits of whole grains. Opting for whole-wheat pasta is just one of the ways to easily fit whole grains into any diet. Luckily, most supermarkets stock a few whole-wheat pasta options — just be sure to take a closer look at those nutrition labels. True whole-wheat pasta will list 100 percent durum whole-wheat flour as the first ingredient. And check the front of package for “100 percent whole wheat,” or the orange “Whole Grain” stamp. So head to the store, pick up an approved whole-wheat pasta package, and get cooking — the stovetop is calling your name.
Recipe: Whole Wheat Rigatoni with Greens
What You'll Need:
2 cups whole wheat Rigatoni or Fusilli pasta
½ zucchini (diced)
1 head of small Radicchio (chopped)
4 ½- 5 ounce pre-washed Baby Arugula
4-6 Artichokes, canned in water
4 cloves Garlic chopped or minced
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/8 cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese
What to Do:
- Bring water to a boil in medium sauce pan. Add rigatoni to boiling water. Cook untill al dente (about 10-12 minutes). Drain, and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add chopped radicchio and arugula. Stir, letting the greens cook-down (they shrink significantly).
- After 1-2 minutes, add zucchini. Stir and let cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add garlic, artichokes, and a bit more olive oil if needed. Let all vegetables sauté together for about five more minutes, depending on how browned you would like the veggies.
- Add pasta to vegetables and mix well. Immediately add cheese and stir to combine (so the cheese melts).
- Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and.
What's your favorite way to prepare whole-wheat pasta? Share your ideas in the comments below!
You May Also Like
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.