When we forgo SPF in the great outdoors, most end up with a sunburn. Learn what actually causes the skin to turn that painful shade of red and how to treat it right.
Recipe: Mexican Style Sweet Potatoes
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Aylin Erman of Glow Kitchen. Learn more about Aylin and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
Nothing beats a sweet potato in all its simple baked goodness, but they can get old fast if you don't switch it up. This recipe brings some Mexican flavor to the otherwise, well, sweet, sweet potato and offers an extra oomph that will fill you up and excite your palette.
Sweet potatoes has a number of killer health benefits. They're high in vitamins B6 (which can boost cognitive and immune function and may help reduce the risk of heart disease), C (thought to lower risk for some types of cancer and famous for its immune-boosting effects), and D (the famous bone density, immunity, and nervous system booster)      .
Plus, these orange spuds contain a ton of fiber, which boosts digestive and heart health . They're a better choice over regular white potato because it's made up of complex carbohydrates, meaning its sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, rather than being processed quickly and causing a spike in blood sugar (and energy), followed by a crash.
Recipe: Mexican Style Sweet Potatoes
What You'll Need:
2 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 lime, juiced
1 13oz can black beans
Extra-virgin olive oil
What To Do:
- Pop the sweet potatoes into the oven and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and slice each potato lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides so that there is only a thin layer remaining lining the edges. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook the chopped vegetables until tender, about seven minutes. Seasoning with salt to taste.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add to the frying pan along with the lime juice.
- While the bean and vegetable combo is cooking, mash the mixture with the edge of a fork to break up the beans.
- Add the cooked sweet potato insides to the bean mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stuff each potato with the bean mixture and serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and chopped parsley.
- The effect of vitamin B6 on cognition. Malouf, R. and Grimley, E.J. Cochrane Dementia and Cognitive Improvement Group, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, Oxford, UK. Cochrane Database System Review, 2003;(4).⤴
- Vitamin B6: a molecule for human health? Hellmann, H. and Mooney, S.⤴
- Vitamin C and cancer: what can we conclude–1,609 patients and 33 years later? Cabanillas, F. University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal, 2010 Sep;29(3):215-7.⤴
- Six-year effect of combined vitamin C and E supplementation on atherosclerotic progression: the Antioxidant Supplementation in Atherosclerosis Prevention (ASAP) Study. Salonen, R., Nyyssonen, K., Kaikkonen, J., et al. Research Institute of Public Health, University of Kuopio, Finland. Circulation, 2003 Feb 25;107(7):947-53.⤴
- Vitamin D: considerations in the continued development as an agent for cancer prevention and therapy. Trump, D.L., Deeb, K.K., and Johnson, C.S. Department of Medicine, The Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY. Cancer Journal, 2010 Jan-Feb;16(1):1-9.⤴
- Higher Vitamin D Dietary Intake Is Associated With Lower Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease: A 7-Year Follow-up. Annweiler, C., Rolland, Y., Schott, A.M., et al. Department of Neuroscience, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Angers, France. The Journals of Gerontology, 2012 Apr 13.⤴
- Cardiovascular Benefits of Dietary Fiber. Satja, A., Hu, FB. Current Atherosclerosis Reports, 2012 Aug 8.⤴
Comments Leave a comment
I made these potatoes and absolutely LOVED them. Delicious and nutritious! Thanks for sharing.
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable, great tool. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
Its a nice informative post and its great resource for lots of peoples, so to promote your business by using some internet marketing strategy and it can easily to reach the correct market place.
I made these into fritters and they were delicious! Thanks for the inspiration!