Recipe: Lentil and Feta Tabbouleh
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Katie Morris of Katie at the Kitchen Door. Learn more about Katie and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
This one-pot take on a classic Middle-Eastern dish provides a massive dose of fiber and protein (from the lentils and bulghur), while tomatoes, parsley, and lemon keep things fresh and light. The addition of cinnamon adds undertones of spicy warmth as well as the myriad health benefits cinnamon provides. With only 40 minutes total time (20 minutes active!) and minimal cleanup, this is an easy, healthy, and flavorful dinner option.
Lentil and Feta Tabbouleh
What You'll Need:
2/3 cup lentils
2/3 cup bulghur wheat
2 cups water
15-20 grape or cherry tomatoes
2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 medium red onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
What to Do:
- In a large pot, combine lentils and water. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer lentils for 15 minutes, or until almost tender.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare vegetables: Slice grape tomatoes into thin rounds, slice parsley leaves into slivers, and finely dice onion. Set vegetables aside.
- Add bulghur to the lentils and stir to fully moisten. Add 1/2 c. water if the mixture looks dry (the bulghur should be able to soak up a significant amount of water).
- Turn off the heat, cover the lentil-bulghur mixture, and let sit for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, check bulghur for tenderness— let sit for 5 minutes longer if bulghur is still tough.
- Drain any excess water from lentil-bulghur mixture, and then add tomatoes, parsley, and onion to pot, along with olive oil, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Stir to thoroughly combine ingredients. Add salt to taste. Top tabbouleh with crumbled feta, serve at room temperature or after chilling in the refrigerator.
You May Also Like
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.