Recipe: A Healthier Ice Cream Sandwich
What better way to celebrate National Ice Cream Month (and National Ice Cream Day this July 15th) than with a healthier version of one of our favorite creamy delights — ice cream sandwiches! Here's a fun fact: President Ronald Reagan deemed July National Ice Cream Month back in 1984. And in the 28 years since, ice cream consumption has grown tremendously, from 887 million gallons in 1983 to 1.53 billion in 2011 (and that's just in the U.S. alone). That's a lotta milk! In fact, it takes three gallons of the milky stuff to make just one gallon of ice cream.
We encourage you to do as Mr. Reagan says and celebrate these events with "appropriate ceremonies and activities," like making this healthier take on ice cream sandwiches to enjoy on these hot summer days! — KM
Recipe: Strawberry Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches
What You’ll Need:
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
4 graham cracker sheets, broken into 8 pieces (*)
¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
¼ cup pecan pieces (optional)
What To Do:
- Thaw banana and strawberries for ten minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend fruit until smooth, but still firm. If it's too liquidy, stick the blended mixture in the freezer for 15-20 minutes until it scoops like ice cream.
- Spread the mixture onto graham crackers and place another cracker on top to create a sandwich
- Roll the sandwiches in toppings such as dark chocolate chips or pecan pieces. Get creative!
- Enjoy immediately, or store in plastic zip lock bags in the freezer for later use!
*You could also substitue your favorite cookie recipe or prepackaged cookies!
What's your favorite way to indulge with ice cream? Share with us in the comments below!