This recipe and photo were created by contributor Aylin Erman of Glow Kitchen. Learn more about Aylin and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
Coconut macaroons are one of my favorite recipes to experiment with in the kitchen. They're the perfect sized snack to carry around and, if you use the right ingredients, are a way to get your sweet fix without overindulging. I’ll admit, growing up, I was not a huge fan of coconut. This is probably due to the fact that my only exposure to it was in the sugary, pasty form. Fast-forward two decades, and suddenly it’s among my favorite flavors. This recipe uses coconut in two unadulterated states — as both a butter and flakes — and does the flavor justice by keeping the ingredient list at a minimum and the sweetness in check (with no added sugar — only honey!).
Recipe: Healthier Coconut Macaroons
Makes 10-15 tablespoon-sized macaroons
What You'll Need:
1/3 cup coconut butter (sometimes also called coconut cream concentrate)
1 1/2 cups dried coconut flakes (sugar-free)
5 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of sea salt
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut butter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until evenly combined. The result will be mealy, but able to stick together.
- Form tablespoon sized macaroons, without packing them too hard.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the outsides have browned slightly.
- Allow to cool and serve. Enjoy!
What's your favorite way to eat coconut? What other ingredients do you add to macaroons? Share your thoughts below!