With Thanksgiving around the corner, this pumpkin dessert is a must-make! With only five ingredients and no oven required, it’s a stress-free dessert that’ll taste just as good as grandma’s pumpkin pie.
Recipe: Chicken Fajitas
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Kelli Dunn of The Corner Kitchen. Learn more about Kelli and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
Before you go running off to the store to buy one of those foil packets of fajita seasoning, I beg you to stop, turn around and walk back into the kitchen. Making homemade fajita seasoning is a lot easier than you might think, and you probably already have the ingredients in your spice cabinet! Simply combine a mixture of chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, and voila, you're ready to make fajitas.
Brighten up this dish with a mixture of red, orange, yellow and green peppers. Go gluten-free by using corn tortillas, or forgo the tortillas alltogether in favor of a bed of greens or rice!
Recipe: Chicken Fajitas
What You'll Need:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
2 bell peppers, stem and core removed, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
8 small tortillas
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
What to Do:
- Make the fajita seasoning: Whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat. (Feel free to use a regular pan if you don't own a specialized grill pan!)
- Add the strips of chicken to the pan, and sprinkle with 3/4 of the fajita seasoning. Mix together and cook for 6 to10 minutes, or until browned.
- In a second pan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onions. Stir in the remaining fajita seasoning. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 8 to10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the veggies and meat are cooking, wrap the stack of tortillas in tin foil and warm in a 250 degree oven.
- To assemble the fajitas, fill warmed tortillas with a mix of chicken, peppers and onions, and top with your favorite garnishes.