A gourmet breakfast doesn't have to require a lot of effort. This recipe gives you no reason to slave away in the kitchen, as there are only a handful ingredients involved. It's perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack or late-night munch.
- 2 thick tomato slices (or 1 plum tomato, halved lengthwise)
- 1 small handful arugula
- 1 thick slice hearty bread, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until softened and deepened in color.
- Place arugula on both bread halves.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and immediately reduce to a soft boil or simmer. Add vinegar and delicately crack 1 egg into the water. Let it cook for about 1 minute. Remove with a large, holed spoon. Repeat with remaining egg.
- Place each egg as delicately as possible on top of arugula, being careful not to crack the yolk.
- Top with 1 tomato and season with salt and pepper to taste.