A gourmet breakfast doesn't have to require a lot of effort. This recipe for poached eggs and roasted tomatoes on an open-faced sandwich gives you no reason to belabor in the kitchen, as there are only a handful ingredients involved, as well as no excuse to not add a bit more class to breakfast and diversify your options. This recipe makes for the perfect breakfast, brunch, snack or late night munch. Enjoy!
What You'll Need:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 thick slice of hearty bread, cut in half
- 2 thick tomato slices (or 1 plum tomato, halved lengthwise)
- 1 small handful arugula
- Salt and pepper
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until softened and deepened in color.
- Place the arugula on both halves of the bread.
- Now it's time to poach the eggs: Bring a small pot of water to a boil and immediately reduce to a soft boil or simmer. Add the vinegar and delicately crack one egg into the water, let it cook for about 1 minute. Remove with a large, holed spoon. Repeat with the other egg.
- Place each egg as delicately as possible onto the bed of arugula, careful not to crack the yolk.
- Add 1 tomato slice atop each egg, season with salt and pepper, and serve.