This recipe was created exclusively for Greatist by Ashley Bare of Ludlow Kitchen.
One pot is all you need for this recipe. Follow just five simple steps, and then put your chicken in the oven and let it do its thing. You won’t be disappointed by this hearty yet light dish that only gets better the second or third time around! If you prefer dark meat, buy and use only thighs and drumsticks. Same goes for white meat eaters—stick with chicken breasts.
Recipe: Mustard and White Wine Braised Chicken
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
What You’ll Need:
1 whole chicken, broken down into 8 pieces
¼ cup flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
4 shallots, sliced
8 whole cloves garlic, peeled
2 stalks tarragon, whole
1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard, or black mustard seeds work just as well
1 cup white wine, like Chardonnay (something you would drink)
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
4 tablespoons chopped parsley or tarragon for garnish
What to Do:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F and make sure one of the racks is centered. Heat oil in a large, deep ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and ground pepper then dust with flour, tapping off the excess.
2. Working in batches, brown chicken (skin side down first), flipping once. It might take about 10 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
3. Add shallots and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring moderately until shallots begin to become translucent–about 5 minutes. Increase heat to high, add wine, and then scrape bottom of pan to get up all the brown bits (that’s flavor!).
4. Add in the mustards, tarragon, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, return chicken and any juices to the pot, cover and put in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes.
5. Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Return pot to the stovetop and bring to a boil over high heat. Let liquid reduce by half–approximately 15 minutes. Either return chicken to the pan or pour sauce over chicken on the serving platter. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Serve with mashed or roasted potatoes, broccoli or other greens of your choice.