Mushroom & Olive Veggie Burgers
This recipe and photo were created by contributor Katie Morris of Katie at the Kitchen Door. Learn more about Katie and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
Veggie burgers have a reputation for being dry and flavorless, but the addition of olives and ricotta cheese to these mushroom-based burgers makes them quite the opposite. These are quick to throw together and very filling, and they just might change that stereotype!
Mushroom and Olive Veggie Burgers
What You'll Need:
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3/4 cup cooked or canned lentils
10 kalamata olives, pits removed
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 to 1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
What to Do:
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add mushrooms and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until golden brown, stirring occasionally. This should take 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse mushroom mixture with lentils, olives, ricotta, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, egg, and vinegar until well blended but not completely smooth — the mixture should still have some chunks to help hold it together.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until it's fairly firm. Short on time? Throw it in the freezer for 10 minutes instead.
- Form the burger mixture into patties. If the mixture is still too loose to hold its shape, stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and fry the burgers 2 at a time (or however many can fit in your frying pan at once without crowding each other) for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and firmly held together.
- Serve with whatever burger fixin's you like!
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.