We know, we know. Nutella is NOT a health food. But that doesn’t mean we can't indulge every once in a while. Since it’s World Nutella Day (yep, that's a thing), we thought it only fair to share with you some of our favorite ways to enjoy the chocolatey, hazelnutty spread without totally giving up on your healthy eating ways.
Homemade Nutella-Like Spreads
1. Sugar-Free DIY Nutella Try your hand at throwing together this Nutella alternative to enjoy that hazelnut-chocolate combo without any guilt. Note: If you’re not crazy about artificial sweeteners, you can always use natural alternatives instead!
2. Protein-tella Pump up protein content by combining whey protein powder cocoa powder and hazelnut flavoring for this tasty spread.
3. Almost Healthy Nutella Spread The name says it all. Don't like Nutella? Try making your own. We’re huge fans of any recipes making less-than-healthy classics a bit more guilt-free!
4. Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Nutella A hint of almond milk makes this spread super-creamy (and almost identical to the original!)
5. Nutella Pie with Strawberries Silken tofu and a whole-wheat crust make this decadent pie a healthier choice. (Well, at least over full-fat processed treats!) The tofu gives the filling a nice, creamy texture while the strawberries add an extra dose of antioxidants and fiber.
6. Strawberry Nutella Puff Tart A whole-wheat crust, greek yogurt filling, and fresh strawberries make this treat slightly more acceptable to chow down on.
7. Nutella-Greek Yogurt Dip We love this recipe for combing two of our favorite foods in one. The Greek yogurt adds a healthy dose of protein, too! Try using whole-wheat pita (toasted), apples, and strawberries to dip.
8. Nutella Meringue Classic meringues are boring. Nutella meringues? Now we’re talkin’. Yes, these are still super high in sugar, but if you limit yourself to just one, they can be a good way to satisfy a nutella-craving.
9. “Nutella” Cookie Dough Balls OK, you caught us. These treats don’t actually contain any Nutella. But the combination of hazelnuts and cocoa powder could have fooled us!
10. Nutella Popcorn This one doesn’t even really need a recipe (but we've included one, just in case!). It’s simple: Pop some corn. Melt some Nutella. Drizzle. Devour. Stick to just a teaspoon or two of the sweet stuff to keep this snack guilt-free.
11. Nutella Almond Bars Healthier, and portable. That’s our idea of perfection. These bars are thankfully simple: just mix Nutella, almonds, flaxseed, and coconut.
12. Banana Nutella Granola Here’s a perfect excuse to enjoy Nutella for breakfast. This granola recipe combines just a little nutella with banana chips, oats, almonds, and cinnamon for a deliciously decadent crunch.
13. Five-Minute Chunky Monkey “Ice Cream” This is a perfect after-dinner treat—and alternative to ice cream. It’s no secret we’re a big fan of banana-only ice cream. But we may just love this version even more. Bananas + walnuts + Nutella + dark chocolate? Sugar-coma central. Keep the servings small, but enjoy indulging nonetheless.
14. Nutella Banana Split Wrap Here’s a delicious, simple way to satisfy that sweet tooth. Spread 2 teaspoons of Nutella on a whole-wheat (or brown rice) tortilla. Top that with a layer of thinly-sliced strawberries. On top of that, place a peeled banana. Roll it up, and enjoy!
15. Nutella Greek Yogurt Popsicles Looking to cool off? In a popsicle mold (or plastic cup), alternate layers or plain (or vanilla) Greek yogurt with straight-up Nutella until full. Add a popsicle stick, freeze, and enjoy!
16. Chocolate Nutella Fudge This no-bake, no-sugar-added fudgey treat is easy to whip up and won't make us feel too when we devour it later. Banana and coconut butter help give this fudge its super-creamy texture!
17. Banana Nutella “Ice Cream” This is an even simpler way to make banana ice cream a touch more decadent: just add a spoonful of Nutella, and keep on swirlin'.
18. Nutella Truffles These easy-to-prep treats combine oats, a bit of Nutella, and sunflower seeds for a filling (and satisfying) way to snack.
Originally published February 5, 2013. Update February 5, 2014.