Recipe: Healthier Hash Browns with Scrambled Eggs
You don't have to take in a kingdom of calories to eat like a king, and this recipe is testament to just that. Here is a filling, protein and fiber- packed breakfast that doesn't weigh you down, mainly because potatoes are out of the picture. Instead of using white potato, I opted for diced celery root and fresh tomatoes with plenty of seasoning. After plating the celery root and tomato mixture, I use the leftover oil to cook the eggs, giving it just enough residual flavor such that additional salt and oil is unnecessary. The result is a big breakfast with little cleanup (and no bellyache).
Recipe: Celery Root & Tomato Hash Browns with Scrambled Eggs
What You'll Need:
1/2 a large celery root
1 large tomato
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Red pepper flakes and fresh basil, for garnish
What To Do:
- Peel and chop the celery root into bite-sized pieces. Chop the tomato into equally sized pieces. Set aside, separately.
- Warm oil in a pan over medium heat. Once warm, add celery root to oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and paprika and stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the celery root begins to soften.
- Add the chopped tomato and mix, cooking until the tomato has broken down and created a thick sauce for the celery root, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once the celery root is fully cooked through, transfer to a plate and set aside, keeping the pan over the heat.
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until smooth.
- Add the eggs to the same pan making sure they cover the entire surface evenly. Gradually stir, creating curds with the eggs and making sure all of the runny mixture gets cooked.
- Serve the scrambled eggs atop the celery root mixture and garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes. (Some freshly-grated parmesan would be great, too.) Enjoy!
What's your favorite weekend breakfast? Share with us in the comments below!
You May Also Like
HEALTH SITE LIKE THIS.
Seriously, we cite every fact with a scientific study!
Once we put a Shake Weight to the test...
We help you find what healthy means to you.