This recipe was created exclusively for Greatist by Ashley Bare of Ludlow Kitchen.
Traditional Greek salad is so delicious on its own—the creaminess of the feta against the crunchy cucumber and sweet tomatoes is a perfect combination. And adding lentils is an easy way to up the protein. This classic salad is just the lunchtime pick-me-up I need to give me energy to attack the rest of the day. Add grilled salmon, chicken, or shrimp for even more of a protein boost if you're extra hungry.
Recipe: Greek-Style Lentil Salad
Makes 6 to 8 servings
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups lentils du Puy
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 6 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons of chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- ½ pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ greenhouse cucumber (or mini seedless cucs), cut in ¼ inch cubes
- 6-8 oz. feta cheese
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
What to Do:
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Strain and set aside.
- Whisk olive oil, zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a bowl. It should be well seasoned (heavily salted and peppered) as it will be tossed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add vinaigrette to the lentils and allow lentils to fully cool. When cooled, add the chopped herbs, onion, tomatoes, and the cucumber. Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer salad to a large serving platter and crumble feta over the top.