These days, pizza has transcended the ranks of tomato sauce and mozzarella -- the variations are now endless. But, still, the idea of a dessert pizza feels quite new and unique. This recipe is a vegan version of dessert pizza, using a coconut-milk based chocolate cream sauce, fresh fruit, and a whole-grain crust. Because the ingredients are so pure, you can enjoy this recipe for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert. Enjoy!
Recipe: Healthier Fruit Pizza with Chocolate-Coconut Cream
Serves 3 to 4
What to Do:
1 whole-grain tortilla
1 can coconut milk, chilled and hardened in the refrigerator
1 tablespoon agave nectar (or maple syrup)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon dried coconut flakes
What to Do:
- First, open the can of chilled coconut milk. Scoop the hardened part of the top of the can and into a bowl, and toss the remaining liquid.
- Add the agave, cocoa powder, and vanilla to the coconut milk and whisk until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate coconut cream mixture atop the whole-wheat tortilla.
- Slice the banana and strawberries. Place them on top of the chocolate cream.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes, serve, and enjoy!
Note: if you'd like a crispier base, you can toast or bake the tortilla before adding toppings!
Have you ever tried fruit pizza? What's the best topping you've tried? Share with us in the comments below!