Brussels sprouts have a notoriously bad wrap as being the yuckiest of yucky vegetables. But really, they're one of the healthiest choices in the cruciferous vegetable family. Now, to combat that "yucky" taste, these little green orbs are often paired with some not-so-healthy ingredients like bacon or cheese sauce. While we know nothing can beat the flavor of some greasy bacon (everyone's allowed to cheat sometimes), Brussels sprouts can actually make a delicious and healthy side dish with only a few simple ingredients. And the best part? The seasonings are completely personalized!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Choose-Your-Own Seasoning
1 lb of Brussels sprouts
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Assorted Seasonings (choose one, or get creative and mix 'em together!):
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3 cloves chopped garlic
1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
2. Slice off the larger stems of the Brussels sprouts, and then cut them in half.
3. Toss the halved sprouts with olive oil.
4. Put the Brussels sprouts sliced-side down on a sprayed baking sheet, and put in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until soft.
5. Add salt, pepper, and desired seasonings to sprouts and toss to coat.