It's hard to become bored with hummus, but every once in awhile I like to put a fun twist on the original recipe. White beans are not only lighter and smoother than chickpeas, but they have a very high concentration of the compound molybdenum, which can help improve gastro-intestinal health, and are packed with antioxidants that can help fight premature aging (among other things) Distribution of selenium and molybdenum and cancer mortality in Niigata, Japan. Nakadaira, H., Endoh, K., Yamamoto, M. Department of Hygiene and Preventive Medicine, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan. Archives of Environmental Health. 1995 Sep-Oct;50(5):374-80. . The addition of basil brings a lightness to the dish — and a delicious aroma.
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- Blend all ingredients except basil in a food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as you go (about 3 minutes).
- Serve with a garnish of basil leaves, drizzled olive oil, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Enjoy with vegetable crudités and flatbread, or by the spoonful.