When you hear "cheesesteak," images of indulgence and gluttony probably infiltrate your brain. But this doesn't have to be the case. This version uses spiced mushrooms cooked with red peppers to bring the dense, meaty texture and taste. With plenty of cheese, of course, it's pure ooey, gooey vegetable goodness.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 whole-grain hot dog buns or sub rolls
- 1/4 cup sugar-free marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and bell pepper and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until mushrooms have softened and their water has evaporated. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place buns on foil.
- On inside of each bun, spread 2 tablespoons marinara sauce. Sprinkle each bun with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons mozzarella. Top with onion mixture, then mushroom and red pepper mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Leaving sandwiches open-faced, cover with foil. Bake for 5 minutes, remove foil, and bake for another 5 minutes.