As backward as it sounds, creamy soups don't require any cream. This bright green dish uses potatoes to create a velvety texture. And with each slurp, you're fighting cancer and cardiovascular disease thanks to the broccoli A diet rich in high-glucoraphanin broccoli interacts with genotype to reduce discordance in plasma metabolite profiles by modulating mitochondrial function. Armah C.N., Traka M.H., Dainty J.R., et al. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2013 Sep;98(3):712-22.. Mom would be proud.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium white potatoes, diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add vegetable broth, potatoes, and broccoli. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot and stir in thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with cheddar cheese, if desired.