These bite-size (vegetarian and gluten-free) hors d'oeuvres are overflowing with bright roasted red peppers and nutty quinoa, along with a touch of Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary. Save some time by making the filling up to two days ahead of time, then pop the mushrooms in the oven about a half hour before your guests arrive. These savory bites are sure to be a hit at any party!
Recipe: Quinoa and Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 24 mushrooms
What You'll Need: 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, diced
24 button mushrooms, stems removed & finely chopped and caps set aside
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
3/4 cup roasted red peppers (about 2 peppers), diced
1/2 cup baby spinach, shredded
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
Fresh ground pepper
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Sautée shallot until translucent (but not browned), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add diced mushroom stems, garlic, and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes more, until juices from mushrooms have evaporated.
- Stir in the peppers, spinach, and quinoa.
- Add vinegar and cook until fully absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as necessary.
- Use a small spoon to fill mushroom caps. Arrange on the baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.