Nothing spells comfort quite like a bowl of spaghetti with a chunky bolognese sauce. And those who avoid meat can still get all that comfort with this recipe, which swaps in mushrooms. Serve over whole-grain pasta and you have yourself a dinner that rivals any Italian meal.
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water (or vegetable stalk)
- 2 servings pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- Fresh basil
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook vegetables in butter until tendering, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- When onion begins to appear translucent, add tomatoes and water. Mix and cover. Let simmer for about 5 to 8 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook sauce until it reaches desired consistency. (The longer it cooks, the thicker it will become.)
- Serve over pasta, garnished with basil.