Kelp is a type of large, brown seaweed that grows underwater in shallow oceans. It's high in iodine, which helps with healthy thyroid function. Some studies also suggest kelp can help protect against estrogen-related cancers such as ovarian, breast, and endometrial Antitumor activity of a crude fucoidan fraction prepared from the rootes of kelp. Chiada, K., Yamamoto, I. The Kitasato Archives of Experimental Medicine, 1987 Jun;60(1-2):22-9.. This raw noodle recipe pairs kelp with an almond, garlic, and ginger sauce that brings some serious punch.
- 2 cups kelp noodles, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 3 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2-inch chunk fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine carrot, pepper, and kelp noodles in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour sauce over noodle and vegetable mixture, and toss until sauce is evenly distributed.