Amidst the vast spread of meat-and-carb-heavy Thanksgiving dishes, throwing a little green in the mix never hurt anyone! This dish of hearty greens can stand up to stuffing and mashed potatoes no problem. Plus, the addition of garlic and chili flakes make it extra special!
Hearty Greens with Garlic
What You'll Need:
1 1/2 pounds hearty greens, sliced thinly (we like kale or Swiss chard, but collards or beet greens are great alternatives)
1 pound baby spinach
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
What to Do:
1. Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until the garlic is golden around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove garlic from skillet and set aside (so it doesn't burn).
2. Add hearty greens to the pan, cover, and cook until tender (about 10 minutes).
3. Add spinach and season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
4. Cook until spinach wilts, stirring frequently (about a minute). Return garlic to pan and stir.
5. The greens can be served immediately or at room temperature. Enjoy!