This recipe and photo were created by contributor Aylin Erman of Glow Kitchen. Learn more about Aylin and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
While rice pudding is usually a heavy, occasional indulgence, it's pretty easy to cut some corners to turn this former guilty pleasure into a healthy, diet-friendly treat. This recipe combines canned coconut milk and cooked rice — white or brown rice — to result in a delicious, creamy dessert. The coconut milk cooks the rice into a perfectly soft texture, and with a tad of sweetener and a dash of cinnamon, this vegan rice pudding is the poster child for sweet comfort food. Enjoy!
Recipe: Healthier Rice Pudding
What You'll Need:
1 cup coconut milk (about half a can)
1 cup cooked rice (brown or white)
1 tablespoon of honey, agave, or maple syrup
1 dash of cinnamon
What To Do:
- Add the coconut milk to a small pot. Make sure that you mix the can thoroughly before using to ensure the liquid and solids are evenly mixed (they can sometimes separate in storage).
- Bring the coconut milk to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Add the honey and stir to combine.
- Add rice and continue to stir until it is evenly distributed.
- Let the mixture continue to simmer in the pot for about five minutes. The liquids should boil off and the mixture will become thicker.
- Spoon into dishes and sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Garnish with a sprig of mint if you're feeling fancy!
What are your favorite ways to make indulgent desserts healthier? Share your ideas in the comments below!