One of the best parts of summer is firing up the grill on a regular basis. For some quick and easy weeknight grilling action, chicken and veggie kabobs hit the spot. Marinated in a mixture of lemon and herbs, these loaded skewers make for a healthy and delicious dinner. Don't have a grill on-hand? Try using the broiler instead!
Serve with a side of quinoa or couscous and a few dollops of guilt-free dilled yogurt sauce.
What You'll Need:
3 lemons, juiced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons dried dill
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into same size chunks
1 yellow onion, quartered & cut into large pieces
1 red pepper, cored and cut into large pieces
16-20 baby portobello mushrooms, stems removed
2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch rounds
3 tablespoons olive oil
Fresh ground pepper
Wooden or metal skewers
Note: For a bit more flavor, try using just 2 tablespoons dill and adding 2 tablespoons dried thyme and 2 tablespoons dried tarragon.
What to Do:
- Prepare the marinade in a long, shallow baking dish by combining lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the kabobs by skewering alternating pieces of chicken and various veggies. Be sure to leave enough room on the ends of the skewers so you can flip them while they're cooking.
- Place the skewers in the baking dish with the marinade, and roll to coat. Cover the dish, and refrigerate overnight, or at least for a few hours.
- When ready to cook, heat grill (or broiler) to high.
- Place skewers on the grill.
- Cook, using tongs to turn the skewers occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
Need some help with the rest of your grilling feast? Check out some of these great warm-weather recipes: