Traditional Greek salad is so delicious on its own—the creaminess of the feta against the crunchy cucumber and sweet tomatoes is a perfect combination. And adding lentils is an easy way to up the protein. This classic salad is just the lunchtime pick-me-up you need to give you energy to attack the rest of the day. Add grilled salmon, chicken, or shrimp for even more of a protein boost if you're extra hungry.
- 2 cups lentils du Puy
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, zested
- 6 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1/2 cucumber, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 6-8 ounces feta cheese
- Place lentils in a saucepan with 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Strain and set aside.
- Whisk olive oil, zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. (It should be well seasoned as it will be tossed with remaining ingredients.)
- Add vinaigrette to lentils and allow lentils to fully cool. When cooled, add herbs, onion, tomatoes, garlic, and cucumber. Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer salad to a large serving platter and crumble feta over top.