1 cup dried chickpeas
1 cup chopped onion
1 handful parsley, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons organic oat flour
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Up to 1 tablespoon water
What to Do:
- Let the chickpeas soak in water overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add to a pot of water and boil for 5 minutes. This will yield about 2.5 cups of chickpeas.
- After the chickpeas are cool, place them into a food processor and pulse until broken down but still slightly grainy — not hummus consistency!
- Transfer the chickpeas to a deep bowl. Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the water. Fold the ingredients together until evenly combined. Add water as necessary to help hold the falafel together.
- Use clean hands to make round balls, about 1.5 inches thick to make about 20 balls.
- Place them on a cooking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, or until slightly browned. If you bake them in a small oven, make sure to keep the oven door a little bit open whilst baking to allow the moisture to release.
- Enjoy with warm pita bread, chopped tomatoes, chopped greens, and yogurt.