When using just a few ingredients, it's important to focus on freshness and quality so the resulting dish is extra delicious (and nutritious). Instead of adding heavy condiments to sandwiches, I try to keep the add-ins slim, nixing any mayonnaise or sauce that could drown the subtle flavor of vegetables and nuttiness of whole-grain bread.
In this egg and halloumi sandwich, all focus is on the main players rather than the accompaniments. It’s also open-faced to keep it relatively low-carb. Packed with fiber, protein, and incredible taste, this sandwich makes for a great breakfast, lunch, or even dinner.
What You'll Need:
- 2 slices of thick whole-wheat or whole-grain bread, toasted
- 2 slices of a large tomato
- Romaine leaves
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced into four pieces
- 4 slices of halloumi cheese
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
What to Do:
- Grill or fry the halloumi in a pan over high heat for about one minute, or until it is browned, on each side.
- Lay out the bread and begin to layer the lettuce leaves on each piece.
- Add a tomato slice to each bread.
- Slice the hard-boiled egg into four pieces and add two atop each bread.
- Place two slices of cooked halloumi atop each piece of bread.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil before serving.