You don't need heavy condiments to have a great sandwich, as this recipe proves. A few simple ingredients (including a flavorful cheese) come together to create a satisfying, flavorful, open-faced meal that's perfect anytime of day.
- 4 slices halloumi cheese
- 2 slices thick whole-wheat or whole-grain bread, toasted
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced into 4 pieces
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Grill or fry halloumi in a pan over high heat for about 1 minute on each side, until browned.
- Lay out bread. Top with lettuce, tomato, egg, and halloumi. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.