What brunch is complete without quiche? The recipe lightens up the great classic without sacrificing any of the flavor. Plus, no crust means it's gluten-free and you get more of the good part: the eggs and veggies!
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups shredded kale leaves
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until slightly translucent but not browning, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until liquid has fully evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and red pepper, and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in kale, and continue to cook until kale begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy. Whisk in half and half, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked vegetables to prepared pie dish. Top with egg mixture.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until edges are lightly golden and center remains slightly jiggly. Serve warm or at room temperature.