This recipe and photo were created by contributor Katie Morris of Katie at the Kitchen Door. Learn more about Katie and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
I actually made this recipe two ways — first, baked, and second, breaded and fried — because sometimes, you just gotta have some fried chicken. However, I can now affirm that both versions result in a delicious, flavorful, moist chicken dish, so you might as well go the healthy route and bake it! Even with a little planning ahead (the chicken needs to be marinated the night before or morning of cooking!), the payoff — coming home to pop a tray of fragrant, sweet and spicy chicken and sweet potatoes in the oven for a quick and healthy dinner — is worth the extra work.
Chipotle Honey Chicken Tenders and Sweet PotatoesAdapted slightly from In The Kitchen With A Good Appetite. Serves 4-6.
What You'll Need:
4 sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1 inch cubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 pounds chicken breast tenders (or chicken breasts pounded to 3/4 inch thickness and sliced into strips)
What to Do:
- 24 hours before you plan on eating: Mix 1 tablesoon of the olive oil, the chipotle chilies, minced garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Pour into a large Ziploc bag. Rinse the chicken tenders, pat dry, and trim any fat from them, then place in the bag, zip, and squish around to coat the chicken with the marinade. Leave the chicken in the marinade in the fridge for eight to 24 hours.
- The day of cooking: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large baking pan, toss together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, sweet potatoes, and an additional sprinkling of sea salt.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- At 30 minutes, add the marinated chicken tenders to the sweet potato pan, and continue to bake for 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (no pink in the middle) and juices run clear.