This recipe and photo were created by contributor Katie Morris of Katie at the Kitchen Door. Learn more about Katie and this recipe by checking out her accompanying post, and check out her Greatist bio on our About Page!
Got a big day in front of you? This quick and easy breakfast polenta will keep you energized all morning, and it only takes ten minutes to prepare. You can even make the polenta the night before and reheat it in the morning, if you're really not a morning person. Fruit and yogurt make a great topping, but if you're feeling more savory, try grating in some sharp cheese and top with a fried egg instead.
Recipe: Breakfast Polenta with Honeyed-Yogurt
Adapted from Ancient Grains for Modern Meals. Serves 4.
What You'll Need:
2 cups water
2 cups skim milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup instant or quick-cooking polenta
1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup honey
1 cup fresh raspberries (or other berries of your choice)
What to Do:
- Cook the polenta: Bring the water, milk, and salt to a gentle boil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Pour in the polenta in a thin stream, continuously whisking.
- Decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and whisk polenta until it thickens, 2-5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix together the honey and yogurt.
- Spoon the hot polenta into a bowl and top with a portion of the yogurt and a handful of raspberries. Drizzle with a little extra honey if you like!
Also check it: 34 Healthy Breakfasts for Mornings on the Run
What's your favorite out-of-the-box breakfast? Share with us in the comments below!