I just haven't been able to get enough of my doughnut pan lately, and when I spotted a pile of over-ripe bananas in the back of the fridge, I knew what had to happen — banana bread doughnuts! But, while I love sweets, I wanted to keep these breakfast treats on the light side, so I cut out the processed sugar and white flour, and significantly cut down on the fat while keeping the great banana bread flavors we all know and love. These soft, walnut-studded rings are made with whole wheat flour, naturally sweetened, and baked to perfection.
Recipe: Banana Bread Doughnuts
Makes 10 doughnuts
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or maple syrup!)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cooking spray
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat the doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside. Note: If you don't have a doughnut pan, you can either make these "doughnut muffins," or pour the batter into a bundt pan for one giant doughnut!
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut oil, mashed bananas, agave syrup, yogurt, egg, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Now it's time to fill the pan: Pour the batter into a resealable plastic bag (or a pastry bag). Cut off one corner of the bag, and squeeze batter into the prepared doughnut pan, making sure each indentation is about 3/4 full.
- Top with walnuts pieces, and lightly press them into the batter.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the doughnuts are golden and spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for a few minutes, then carefully turn out into a wire rack and cool fully. (Note: Baking time will vary if using a different type of pan.)
Have you ever made doughnuts at home? What's your favorite recipe? Share with us in the comments below!