Now that it’s chilly outside, you may be starting to trade your morning ice-cold smoothie for warmer breakfast foods. Oats are an obvious option, but if you’re looking for a more savory option, give this scrambled tofu recipe a try. Serve it with the suggested sides and toppings below, or bundle it up in a whole grain wrap for a more portable meal.
Recipe: 10-Minute Scrambled Tofu
What You'll Need:
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon water
1 pinch sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Olive oil, in a mister
1 scallion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 package firm tofu (about 210g), very well drained
1 tablespoon very finely chopped parsley
What to Do:
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the seasoning — nutritonal yeast, turmeric, cumin, paprika, water, salt, and pepper — and set aside.
- Mist a frying pan with olive oil and place it over medium heat to warm up.
- Once hot, add the chopped scallion and garlic, and sautee until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan, breaking it up with your fingers.
- Pour the seasoning (which should resemble a bright paste) over the tofu and mix it well, trying to color as much tofu as possible.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until tofu is hot throughout. Toss in the parsley and continue to stir for another 1-2 mins.
- Once cooked, serve with your favorite sides and toppings: Sliced avocado, whole-grain crackers or toast, sliced tomato, bacon (regular, or meat-free!), salsa, and/or hot sauce are all great options.