What's better than hosting a Friday night get-together with friends after a long week? Making a simple, stress-free appetizer to feed them, duh. Besides, who has time to go all gourmet on a bunch of guests who mostly care about the flowin' wine? Keep their booze-filled bellies full by throwing together a dip that looks like it belongs on Instagram... in less than 10 minutes.
Inspired by the culinary flavors of the Mediterranean (just kidding, this was totally motivated by the colors), this three-ingredient dip will be your new go-to the next time you're playing host. Grab a pie dish and a cookie sheet, a jar of pesto, crumbled feta, a diced tomato, and a pack of pita bread. You're nearly done.
If your friends are always late, make your own pesto (you know you have the time). It's easier than you think. If you're on a tight schedule, skip the DIY chips and buy a bag of pita chips instead. But do so with caution—the smell of bread in the oven will have your guests drooling the moment they walk through the door—and that's pretty unmissable.
3-Ingredient Pesto Tomato Dip With Homemade Pita Chips
Recipe by: Jamie Webber
Makes: 12 servings
For the pita chips:
6 rounds whole-wheat pita bread
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch sea salt
For the dip:
6 ounces pesto
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 large tomato, diced
Dried or fresh basil or oregano (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice pita bread into triangles (each round makes about 6 triangles).
3. Spread triangles on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Bake 5-7 minutes.
6. To make the dip, spread pesto onto the base of the pie dish, then sprinkle on the feta cheese in an even layer. Top with the tomato, pressing gently with your fingers or a spatula to make sure each scoop is nice and compact. Finish with a few grinds of black pepper and basil or oregano, if using.
8. Remove the pita rounds from the oven and transfer to a serving dish.
9. Enjoy with friends, preferrably with a glass of wine in your non-chip-holding hand.